This school, often called Retreat Colored School, was built in 1923 for the African-American students in and near Westminster. A two-room, two teacher, elementary school, built by local builder William Walker Bearden of Oakway at a coast of $2,300. It was one of more than 500 schools in South Carolina funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932.
This public school replaced a one room private school established by Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in about 1870. Approximately 50-60 students a year, in grades 1-7, attended Retreat Colored School from 1923 until it closed after the 1949-50 school year. The school was sold to Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in 1950. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.